Saturday, January 30, 2010

Slowly, But Surely

I've been slacking lately. Big time. I haven't touched my bike almost since the previous post! That includes no riding or maintenance. I won't have much time this weekend to ride since I'll be working, but I definitely need to make it mandatory to go on a ride this coming Monday. That also means I need to get it all tuned up before then. Well, at the very least, I need to change my inner wires for my brake and derailleur cables.

Procrastination aside, I did get some hands on learning since my last post. As of now, I can fix a flat, laterally true a wheel, and adjust a hub. Girls, don't think you have to have a guy do this stuff for you. We're just not raised to do things mechanical in any way, but it's pretty easy. If you're at all interested, take the initiative and learn this stuff yourself! If you learn better by someone showing you how to do somehthing, check to see if your local bike shop is offering classes.

Okay, so I haven't actually had to fix a flat yet, cause I'm a nazi about making sure my tubes are properly inflated before every ride (for the bike impaired - well pumped tires equals less chance of puncture). But, I have practiced removing the tube and reattaching it incase I do come across a flat in the future. It's a piece of cake. Why didn't I learn this much sooner? I'm not too worried about actually patching the tube since I'd rather carry two extra tubes when riding and mess with patching at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comics + Bikes = Love

Yehuda Moon

Followers